812
"Goliath" by Scott Westerfield
"Goliath" by Scott Westerfield isa an amazing historical fiction book that draws you in and doesn't let go. This book. has social issues written all over it. I think that the most interesting of these issues is actually the relationship between the two main characters, Alex and Deryn. Throughout the book these two characters are trying to save the world by solving mysteries and fighting enemy japanese and german soldiers. The book takes place in 1912 so social classes are definitely established.
The first Social class issue I noticed was immediate in the book. Alex is a prince who could become Emperor of Austria Hungary because he has a letter from the emperor. Deryn is a common girl who is actually disguising herself as a boy so she can fight in the british air service. Already quite complex. But when you find out that Alex's assistant and councilor, Vulgar, doesn't want him to be friends with Deryn because she is a commoner they break into an argument. I think this happens all the time in real life. For example, when two cliques form even in middle school, usually friends are established within the group. This book shows issues like this all the time.
But the story gets even more dramatic. When Alex finds out Deryn is a girl he is heart broken. He thought he had made a true friend but now that true friend had betrayed him. However, Deryn thinks she loves him and so at a extremely dramatic moment (on top of the giant flying whales back) she kisses him. Now you can imagine how many issues this causes. If the British captain finds out she gets kicked off the ship. If Vulgar finds out he will take Alex away from the Leviathon (there ship) and that would make both Alex and Deryn very sad. Again, stuff like this happens all the time in real life cliques.
I think this book is a really great book because its heart throbbing and extremely addictive. You cant put it down; however, it also has a deeper message. Showing that it doesn't matter what people say outside of your friendship as long as you are comfortable.
I've never read this book but it reminds me of many others. In many books girls disguise themselves as boys to fight. I wonder of people still do that today in some parts of the world.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very interesting response. I can clearly see that there are many social issues in this book from reading this response. I also really liked how you compared an obviously very fictional book to a real life situation, like cliques in school. Cool response.
ReplyDelete